Monday, July 13, 2009

Nine Reasons Why Potential Clients Should Hire Your Bookkeeping Service

My least favorite thing is 'selling' my services to potential new clients. It makes me uncomfortable. Then a few years ago, Beth my business coach said, "Linda, why not describe the reasons why someone needs good bookkeeping? Talk about that during your initial meeting." I was skeptical; I didn't believe it would work. She encouraged me to try the approach at my next meeting with a potential bookkeeping business client.

Well, I did, and much to my surprise her bookkeeping business advice worked! Not only did that client hire me, but also referred me to two colleagues. The approach I used - and still use - is simply to explain why it is so important to have good records.

Here are nine reasons why it's important for businesses to have good financial recordkeeping systems. Use one, two or all of them with your next potential new client. Whether your potential client is devising or revising their bookkeeping routine, remind them that the purpose of your bookkeeping business is to help them manage their business tasks.

#1 Reason for Retaining Bookkeeping Services: Monitor the Financial Success or Failure of Your Business
It's hard to know where you are going if you don't know where you've been. The same is true with your business - it's hard to know how your business is doing without a clear financial picture. A good financial system provides answers to the questions: Am I making money? Are sales increasing? How do expenditures compare to sales?

#2 Reason for Retaining Bookkeeping Services: Provides the Information You Need to Make Decisions
Evaluating financial consequences should be part of every business decision. Without accurate records and financial information, it's difficult to forecast the impact of any given course of action. For example, financial information gives insight as to whether or not it pays to hire another salesperson. Accurate records reveal the profitability of any line item.

#3 Reason for Retaining Bookkeeping Services: Obtain Bank Financing
The best time to seek financing is when you don't need it. The bank will want to see your income statement, balance sheet and tax returns for the most current and prior years, as well as projected statements showing the impact of the requested loan.

read more...

Bookkeeping Services Headline Animator